Sunday, August 21, 2011

Day 3 Lamayuru to Mulbekh

21 August. Started the day climbing a 18km pass to 14,200 feet, this is the highest pass on my route. A long descent into the next valley, a roller coaster of a ride that was slowed by soft sand, road works and chunks of rock. I had to push my bike through this for over an hour then climb back on and ride 12 km up the other side through more road works, had to walk again, the rocks under the wheels made it impossible to ride. Passing army trucks cover me in dust and dirt. My bike and I are the same, not metal, not flesh, but dirt. Eventually made it to Mulbekh, a small village at 10,839 ft. Leh is now 190 km behind me. I'm now at a home-stay with a traditional Buddhist family. They have no electricity. I'm given a water bucket to wash from, I'm sleeping on the floor with the family's yak in a room next to me. All is well after, what I'd have to say was, one of the biggest days in my life. I'm tired but happy.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Colin
    What an adventure…you don't mind a challenge do you!! You rode higher at North Pullo than we walked in the Himalayas, your legs and heart must have been working overtime.

    I'm following you on Google Earth and there are a few climbs and descents on that route you peddling - to put it mildly. But sleeping with a yak that will be hard to beat - will keep you warm at least. I guess the monsoon is over so hopefully you won't have to contend with rain as well.

    You may not have heard that that one of the ABC choppers crashed near Lake Eyre last Thursday night killing the journalist Paul Lockyer, cameraman John Bean and pilot Gary Ticehurst. Very sad news.

    Take care on that road, stay on the uphill side of the yaks and happy peddling.

    cheers

    Ken

    ReplyDelete