Monday, August 22, 2011

Day 4 Mulbekh to Kargil

Message from Colin on sat phone - 22 August 2011.
I spent a bit of time 'unearthing' my bike this morning but don't know why I bothered as it (and I) were returned to the same dirty, dusty state in a blink of a yak's eye. Much the same road conditions as yesterday but must have been passed by more than 500 army trucks. Every time I had to stop and let them pass.
12 years ago Kargil was the centre of a war between India and Pakistan over the Kashmir region. Pakistan surrendered and India has maintained a close watch on the border ever since. I cycled past bunkers and thousands of army troops into the town that sits on the banks of the Indu River at 2,676 metres (8,780 feet). I was exhausted and fed up. Demonstrations created congestion in the centre. I was told by the army not to go any further until after 6pm when it would be safer to look for accommodation and something to eat. This town is the second largest in Ladakh, with a population of 10,00 people. I have not seen one foreigner but then it's not the ideal holiday destination.  When I found somewhere to stay I discovered I'd left my wash bag back in Mulbekh. It wasn't a great day but trying to stay positive. I can buy another toothbrush and some razors tomorrow. Need to get some sleep now knowing I'll wake tomorrow feeling better and happy to leave this place behind.


1 comment:

  1. Yeah but Colin did you get that yak's phone number that you shared a room with?

    ReplyDelete